New york yonkers dating services
All the lands that belonged to the Philipse family were confiscated and sold.For its first 200 years, Yonkers was a small farming town with an active industrial waterfront.The community was incorporated as a village in the northern part of the town of Yonkers in 1854 and as a city in 1872.In 1874 the southern part of the town, including Kingsbridge and Riverdale, was annexed by New York City as The Bronx.Near the site of van der Donck's mill is Philipse Manor Hall, a Colonial-era manor house which today serves as a museum and archive, offering many glimpses into life before the American Revolution.The original structure (later enlarged) was built around 1682 by Frederick Philipse and his wife Margaret Hardenbroeck.Still, some residents call the city "the Sixth Borough" referring to its location on the New York City border, its urban character, and the failed merger vote.
The city is home to several attractions, including Untermyer Park; Hudson River Museum; Saw Mill River daylighting, wherein a parking lot was removed to uncover a river; Science Barge; Sherwood House; and Yonkers Raceway, a harness racing track that has renovated its grounds and clubhouse and added legalized video slot machine gambling in 2006 in a "racino" called Empire City.
Van der Donck was known locally as the Jonkheer or Jonker (etymologically, "young gentleman," derivation of old Dutch jong (young) and heer ("lord"); in effect, "Esquire"), a word from which the name "Yonkers" is directly derived.
Van der Donck built a saw mill near where the Nepperhan Creek met the Hudson; the Nepperhan is now also known as the Saw Mill River. His wife, Mary Doughty, was taken captive and ransomed later.
Civilians helped in the war effort by joining organizations such as the American Red Cross.
In 1916, there were one hundred twenty-six people in the Yonkers chapter of the Red Cross.